So to continue where I left off. Since I wrote about my host mom not being so chatty last night we had our first long sustained conversation. I took it as I good sign of my greater acceptance into the family that she finally let me cut my own fruit and wash the dishes! Until now she has served me hand and foot and I have felt a bit like a guest at a resort. After last night I feel a little closer to my mamá; maybe I can really become like a surrogate daughter to her.
After spending a year in Brazil among the very poor class it is different to be here living in the middle to upper middle class. The Brazilians were so warm and joyful and they let that exuberance for life show in the way they hugged you, chatted non-stop and cared for you as if you were their own child (even though I did not live in any of their houses). Here, while our host families I are friendly and do everything for us, I have not felt the same enthusiasm and warmth that the Brazilians exuded. (I am really only speaking for my family and the family of another friend, It could very well be that the families of other students are different). Rather than this being due to citizenship I think it has more to do with class and even more to do with education. Maybe it is that our western style of education encourages people to be more individualistic, private and self-conscious. In a way I can relate more to the people here because I tend to be more private, like space to myself and prefer to have a more thoughtful conversation than the airy gossipy conversation that I found in many poor Brazilian homes. But it is interesting to think about what education and wealth might alter in us. Somehow despite being poor, or maybe because they were, the Brazilians seemed more carefree. Whether that is how we all should be I don’t know but there is definitely something to be said for it.
So after that long detour let me tell you very briefly what my typical day here looks like. In the morning we have 4 hours of Spanish class (2 of grammar and 2 of conversation) The classes are great and even though we spend so much time cramped in a little room learning about the subjunctive, or ´if clauses´ I have not been bored once yet! In our conversation classes we discuss interesting, current topics or controversial issues. I can feel my Spanish improving everyday, which is really exciting! Of course there are still plenty of times when what comes out of my mouth is amazingly convoluted, but I can feel the language welling up inside me waiting to stream out perfectly :)
After Spanish class is over I walk home (45 minutes…which I do 4 times day) for Comida the biggest meal of the day. When I arrive in the house my mamá is waiting ready to serve me…After the first few meals I felt sick and full for hours and hours because, wanting to be polite, I ate everything she offered me. I have since learned that the offers of more food will never stop until you have collapsed on the floor from excessive consumption and thankfully I have got much better at holding my ground and saying no thankyou! The food is delicious…especially if you like a lot of cheese and tortillas. Tortillas are in practically every meal here!
After lunch I head back into town for our 2 hour seminar class. In this class various activists from Oaxaca lecture (in Spanish!) about a topic related to development, social movements in Oaxaca, politics and economics of Mexico etc. So far all the lecturers have been fantastic. Very dynamic and passionate about the work they are involved in.
I have run, out of time to write…so once again, to be continued…
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, that 45 minute walk seems harsh...what are you walking past? Fields? Residential zones? Businesses? Is it an interesting/beautiful walk?
ReplyDelete